Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Excerpts: Prayer of St Francis of Assisi

I was arranging the books of my eldest daughter Kaye which she left behind here in Singapore when I noticed this book, Mother Teresa Missionary of Charity. The book was given to her by her godmother Sr. Doris Fernandez, a Singaporean of Eurasian race. Kaye had her first communion when she was 6 years old and a prep at Assumption Antipolo. After so many years, as we always moved around, it was only in 1998 that she had her Confirmation at the Star of the Sea Church in Yishun. During those times, my 3 daughters and me were active in Legion of Mary and Kaye served as the Vice President of the Junior Praesidium. As both members of the Legion, we were together in visiting the sick at Tan Tock Seng Hospital, attending masses, house visitation (flats) and other activities of the Legion. She is now married and is happy with her own family in Virginia. I missed our times together.
On page 167 of the book is the famous prayer of St Francis of Assissi:

Lord make me an instrument of your peace.
That where there is hatred, I may bring love;
That where there is wrong,
I may bring the spirit of forgiveness,
That where there is discord, I may bring harmony;
That where there is error, I may bring truth;
That where there is doubt, I may bring faith;
That where there is despair, I may bring hope;
That where there are shadows, I may bring light;
That where there is sadness, joy.
Lord grant that I may seek, rather to comfort, than to be comforted;
To understand than to be understood;
To love than be loved,
For it is by forgetting self that one finds;
It is by dying that one awakens to eternal life.

No comments: