Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Passion and Interest

Since I was a child, I was hooked on reading books. I felt so happy whenever my mother who was then a principal in the public school, brought home some books to read. As my father was very strict then, and never did allow me to play outside, I almost always stayed inside our house. And having no friends to play with, I consumed my time reading my mother's books which as far as I remember were borrowed from school and were donated by UNICEF. Imagine me reading those elephants from Burma and the pioneers in America. I was so amazed of the printed words as I imagined those far away places. But how I wish then that my mother had that time to read stories for me.

So books became my passion. That was why when I started to teach young children back in the Philippines, I saw to it that I read books to them. The way I read and the tone of voice I used made them more interested. And here in Singapore, whenever I read a storybook, the children would say "Teacher, I want some more." I then realized the power of good storytelling. But am I a good storyteller? I don't think so. I need to learn more storytelling techniques.

And today, I am glad to announce that my centre will send me to the Asian Storytelling Congress . Wow! For sure, I will learn professional storytelling techniques.

Like books, pets and animals are my interest too. Growing up with many dogs and cats around as my own mother is an animal lover, I learnt to love those animals too. And yes they are humans. Most of the time, they are real friends too. That is why when I discovered this site, Animals Are Humans Too , I told myself that I want to belong. Luckily, Thess sent me the invite pronto. Thank you Thess!

My passion and interest, they make me more happy these days.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh wow! I'm sure you'll have a blast at ASC!

and anybody who has love and respect for animals are more than welcome to join our family...welcome Ate Luchie, we're happy to have you!

yw too (^-^)

Unknown said...

Thank you Thess!
And yeah, I had a blast for I met those professional storytellers in person and heard them tell stories using different techniques.