Wednesday, May 16, 2007

My best presents as a mother

Early morning of Mother's Day, I was thinking how my children would let me feel the importance of my being a mother to them. As they are already young adults, I was open to the fact that there were many changes in them as to how they look on life and on their relationship with me as their mother. Though those changes may be brought about by their life experiences, I was still craving for those primitive feelings and moments with them. And thankfully, I got them that day.


My eldest never failed me when she called from Virginia and let my grandkids speak to me. How wonderful it was to hear their sweet voices! My two daughters greeted me also. I am not materialistic of course. But the presents they gave me, made me happy, not because of the materialistic value but the love that came with each item, a new iPod and Shiseido products. A treat in Swensens also completed my day.














After that special day, I contemplated on my role as a mother. Am I really happy being a mother at this stage? Am I looking back to those days when they were little kids, where I was always the one whom they looked- up to? Am I not regretting the fact that I chose them over my career?

Hmmm. I admit the fact that I always cherish the days when they were just little children, where every word I said and every move I did were precious to them. Imagine how it feels to be the queen of their worlds. And ahh, they grew up now. They already have their own priorities and visions in life. They are already professionals in their own rights and earning more than what I am taking home. That makes me look like the "loser" in the family if salary will be the basis of happiness and success. Am I jealous then?

To tell you frankly, I enjoyed the stage when they were kids. And I also enjoy this stage where I am now. Being a mother to professionals made me more proud as a mother. Their "success" are just proofs of how I played my role passionately. I may be earning little than them but I am earning more love, more experiences, more stories to tell. Where will this stage in my life as a mother will lead me, is something I have to cherish also day by day.

So, let me tell you the precious gifts I got as a mother. My eldest, an assistant manager at Movado, my second a tax accountant for Price Water House Coopers (she just finished her last papers at RMIT and is scheduled to start this 1st of June), and my youngest a Software Engineer at ST. Yeah, I still remember my post about a close relative who always brag about her own. Why I am bragging mine? Ohh!!!

Now, is their being professionals the best presents I got? Oh No! I never said that! Honestly, whatever they attained educational and career wise, I'll still be proud of them. And what they become as persons are the best gifts I got. Being loving, caring and compassionate persons are the best gifts they gave me. And they are also the best gifts I can give to God in return.

Looking at my two daughters here in SG, and seeing my eldest being a mother too, make me appreciate my presents as a mother.

No comments: