Thursday, March 22, 2007

To cane or not to cane?

As parents, we've all come to a point when we face the dilemma whether to discipline our own children by using corporal punishment or by just be firm with them in stating what we want. In my case, most of the times, I tried then, to talk it out with my own children. I would not say that I am a perfect parent. But I know I made incorrect decisions too. I may have hurt my own children, perhaps in their own thinking, or I may not have hurt them at all physically. What I am sure of is that I made decisions out of my love for them.


As an early childhood educator, it really hurts when one of your children is caned by her own father or mother. I understand that parents are more expert as far as their own children are concerned. But it still leave me that shaken when a lot of cane marks are so prominently seen on a young child's body. Oh, I have to understand that that particular parent underwent that dilemma too; whether to cane or not to cane. But tell me, is it worth it?


I don't know. Up to now I don't know. When I first saw a child with cane marks, I was so angry. Angry with that particular parent. Many years passed by, I still feel uncomfortable with it. But God, I have to accept that that's the way it is.


Ahh, she just remind me of my dear grandkid Darrielle. I will always love her. May she feel the love behind the pain. I hope...

No comments: